US Customer Service

Customer Service
1-860-238-4783

Application Support
1-860-238-4783

matrix.usa@altramotion.com

UK Customer Service

Customer Service
+44 (0) 1356 602000

Application Support
+44 (0) 1356 602000

sales@matrix-international.com

Company History

Most conceptions are the result of fortuitous circumstances. The birth of Coventry Gauge & Tool Co. Ltd., Brechin (now Matrix International), is an example. With World War II imminent, the need for a dispersal factory of the parent company in Coventry coincided with the founder, Sir Harry H. Harley, C.B.E., being aware of suitable premises on East Mill Road. In July 1939, the site was purchased and the services renovated. In August, the new factory was ready for production under the name of the War Department.

  1. 1939 - Brechin factory established as Coventry Gauge & Tool Co.Matrix Factory
  2. 1959 - Mechanical clutch manufacture transferred to Brechin
  3. 1963 - Matrix ZC range of mechanical clutches launched
  4. 1965 - World-wide sales organization established
  5. 1969 - Matrix acquired by TI Group
  6. 1976 - Re-structured into two business areas:
    1. Motion Control (brakes, clutches and couplings)
    2. Engineered Systems (sub-contract)
  7. 1996 - Matrix acquired by Hay Hall Group
  8. 1999 - Inertia Dynamics acquired in the USA
  9. 2000 - Twiflex, Bibby-Turboflex & HUCO acquired in the UK | Matrix International GmbH established
  10. 2006 - Matrix (Motion Control) acquired by Altra Industrial Motion
  11. 2009 - Achieved ISO 14001 and 9001:2000 Certifications
Matrix Areal Shot

Profile

Matrix International, established in 1939, now operates within the global power transmission industry in the markets of Europe, USA, and Asia Pacific.

Based in Brechin, Scotland, Matrix International is a fast growing and progressive company that is committed to investment in the latest technology, systems and people.

This is the foundation of our success.

From its headquarters in Scotland, Matrix International supplies brakes to global market leaders. Sophisticated ISO accredited quality systems ensure that the engineering, products and service are of the highest standard.

A dedicated team of talented design and production engineers in a custom-built, state-of-the-art technical center is focused on providing successful solutions to the power transmission challenges set by our customers, old and new alike. Each of the products in our comprehensive range can be configured to meet the specific and unique requirements of the particular applications, from printing and escalator/elevator equipment to material handling equipment.

From a design scheme, we can quickly produce prototype units for evaluation by our customers and also in our own wide range of test rigs. Here we simulate operating conditions under the control of computerized systems with data recording facilities.

The range of applications where you’ll find Matrix power transmission brakes, clutches, couplings and torque limiters is truly impressive – from industrial robots to medical equipment; from off-highway, electric and construction vehicles to NASA aerospace, from printing and escalator/elevator equipment to material handling equipment.

With customers like these who have exacting standards demanding total reliability, Matrix is ideally suited to meeting your power needs, large or small.

Headquarters & Operations based in Brechin, Scotland

  1. 4900m² (52500 ft2) factory space in Scotland (MC)
  2. 120 + Employees
  3. Accredited to ISO 9001:2000
  4. Representatives throughout the world via Altra, Warner and selected Distributors

Registration Number: 03690656 England

Registered Office: 317-319 Ampthill Road, Bedford, England, MK42 9RD

Key Events

  • New technical & manufacturing centre established 1999
  • Upgrade to 3D CAD/CAM and FEA capability during 1999
  • Launch of Matrix International GmbH during 2000
  • New EFACS ERP Business System introduced 2002/03
  • Change of Senior Management structure implemented in 2007
  • Altra Business System and Kaizen Events Implemented in 2007
  • Total Capital Investment in excess of £7m since 1996
  • Upgrade to Flow Simulation Software in 2009